League Forums

Main - Rivalries

Re: CFB Playoff Push 2038

By Bryno
8/20/2021 9:03 am
In these uncertain times.....ha! Just a lil' jokie joke. Man, it's dusty in this place! Been a long time since much 'extra' has been written in our little world of college football. So, I thought I'd write a little about what's shaping up to be a pretty good battle down the stretch, with 4 games to go!

WEEK 13

LSU [10-2] @ Utah [9-3]
This is a BIG matchup for both teams! bgedgerly and the reigning National Champions are on the road for the 4th straight week and rolling along following wins over Bama and AZ, with a Shutout win over Division-Rival at A&M sandwiched in between. LSU is 2 games in front of Florida (currently) for the 5th seed) but more-importantly needing this win to keep on the heels of ATM to possibly supplant them for the 1st or 2nd seed. ATM is @ FSU this week.
LSU remaining: @ Utah, UCLA, @ Kansas, @ Miami.

Utah is currently the 4-seed, one game behind UW for the 3-seed (more on them in a minute). The Ghost has the Utes back at the top of the division for the first time since Michael 77 was at the helm in 2023! (That's 14 seasons). In fact this is the first time since then that Utah has even sniffed post-season. The Utes are up one game on UCLA and they have split their matchups this season.
Utah Remaining: LSU, AZ, USC, @ AZ

UCLA [8-4] @ Rutgers [7-5]
CrazyRazor has a challenge in front of him! Not just this coming matchup with the Scarlet Knights, either. He will need the absolute best from his Bruins heading down the stretch. (see Remaining sched). But first things first. Rutgers. UCLA has a must-win here to keep their head above water for the playoff picture. A Rutgers win could see a flip-flop for the 5th/6th seed (Navy is @ WSU) with UCLA on the outside, looking in heading into wk 14. Will that season opening loss to Auburn come back to haunt CrazyRazor?
UCLA Remaining: @ Rut, @ LSU, AZ, @ ATM

The same could be said for hchoudry17 with their Week-2 loss to USC! Rutgers has shown some signs of life again after a down-season last year. A win here gives them a good launch into their final 3 games.
Rutgers remaining: UCLA, MICH, @FSU, ORE

Ohio St [10-2] @ Washington [10-2]
CrimsonWolfZ, three-seasons-in at the helm of the Huskies, already has 2 Division Titles and is almost a lock for #3. After starting the season at 2-2, they've ripped off 8 straight wins and hold a 4 game lead over the Cougars. Might be a good idea to have the champagne on ice and at the ready with WSU facing Navy this week.
Washington remaining: OSU, @ SC, @ WSU, @ Navy

The bigger story is what is at stake for both of these teams. The #2 Seed. jabillups and the Buckeyes have been riveted in this position for weeks and are coming off of a (unexpected) shocking loss to Syracuse to face one of their biggest (expected) tests of the season, in Seattle. Other big wins this season for the Bucks are Utah and UCLA in overtime. Forget what the MFN AI chose for the game of the week, this week. OSU @ UW is a HUGE game.
Ohio State remaining: @ Wash, @ Miami, Clem, @ NW.

Florida [8-4] @ Kansas [11-1]
trslick has the Jayhawks poised to match their highest regular season win-total and quite possibly their best ever, with four games to go. They are a lock to post a winning-record in 3 consecutive seasons for the second time in their existence.

Bigger than that for Slick and the Hawks is getting back to the post-season for the second year in a row, where they look to advance after a disappointing 5-point loss to ATM in the playoffs last year. Kansas' biggest win this year was knocking off Notre Dame in Lawrence in week 3. Their only loss came the following week at Syracuse. This week's matchup is every bit as tough as ND, though.
Kansas remaining: Florida, @ Navy, LSU, South Carolina

The Gators are easily the most explosive team in the league, once again. Most of the damage has been in their own division with a 75-point win over Tennessee, a 54-0 shutout over Georgia and a 50 point blowout of South Carolina. Unfortunately for the Gators the explosion has happened in their own foxhole a couple of times, with an inexplicable loss to Oklahoma last week and a flameout in Pullman, WA earlier in the season. Their other two losses were tight games against the Champs, LSU and Washington. Even though they trail the Gamecocks by 1 game in their division, expect Michael77 and the Gators to make a 4-game run to take the division. This is HUGE GAME #2 this week.
Florida remaining: @ Kansas, Stanford, Texas, @ Tennessee

Good luck to all! Stay safe out there!!

I gotta get ready for JohnWayne....the "burr" in my saddle. ;)
Last edited at 8/25/2021 9:23 pm

Re: CFB Playoff Push

By jabillups85 - League Admin
8/21/2021 8:23 am
Great write up!!!!

By Bryno
8/24/2021 7:37 pm
WK 14 Quick & Dirty....was on a mini-vacay with my lady for the past 3 days, so away from the keyboard....

BIG GAME #1 Jayhawks @ Midshipmen

With the previous write-up we know what Slick has-a-goin-on, so I'm only going to acknowledge the fact that he took care of business against the Gators. And this greatly helped South Carolina's cause.

This week Kansas is in Annapolis and frankly they have no bigger fans than the two PAC West schools that are still in the hunt.

BIG GAME #2 UCLA @ LSU

Crazy took care of business on the road last week in Jersey, effectively providing the Bruins AND the Utes with a one game "buffer" of sorts with that win. Meaning, the Bruins and Utes can both lose this week and still be a game up on Rutgers.

I don't expect bgedgerly to be getting an easy time at home against UCLA tonight. Injury-wise, both teams are in great shape heading into this battle. LSU has so much on the line tonight for the home-field picture with both Clemson & Clemson lurking just one game back. A Tigers loss tonight throws a monkey wrench into the picture....if.....

BIG GAME #3 Washington @ South Carolina

The Huskies weathered the storm last week at-home vs a very sharp Ohio St. squad and pushed their winning streak to 9. The Huskies finish their season, starting in Columbia with 3-straight road-games.

The Gamecocks are coming off of a road-shutout win over the only team other than Florida to beat them this season [Bulldogs]. A very economical Carolina squad has their work cut out for them tonight. To challenge Washington and have any hope at all for a 'W' they will have to be able to control the ball.

Another very big game (they all are, right?) is of course, Buckeyes @ Hurricanes. A win for Miami keeps their post-season on life-support. A win for OSU coupled with a UW loss puts the Buckeyes back in the picture for home-field and a bye.

Speaking of "Bye". Did 4343 happen to wave at anyone on his way out?

Last edited at 8/25/2021 9:23 pm

By Bryno
8/25/2021 9:06 pm
WEEK 15

The Holy **** game of the Week! LSU @ Kansas
35-16. That was the final score the last time these two matched up. 2 seasons ago in Death Valley. LSU came out on top in that one. This time it's in Lawrence with the Jayhawks clinging to the #1 Seed in the Super Conference.

Kansas made their way out of Annapolis last week with a (shhhhhh) tie. They'll be happy to be at home for this match-up with the reigning champs. Their only [other] threats to take away home-field through the playoffs:

-Texas A&M who is at Tennessee this week and finishes at UCLA.
-South Carolina who is at Auburn this week and finishes in Lawrence in next week's "Holy ****" game.

LSU is coming off a stinging home-loss to UCLA in a hard-fought battle, 24-28. The Bayou Bengals will be riled up for this one as there is still SO MUCH to play for....for one, keeping the Aggies from getting their hands on that SEC West title - LSU has taken the SEC West every year since 2031. and secondly, if they do win the conference, they are likely to be the 2-seed.

Big Game #2 Clemson @ Ohio State
10 Division Titles. mwd65 Just over there. Quietly winning away year after year it seems. Do NOT count out Clemson from being in that 2 seed conversation. It is STILL within reach. The Tigers are coming off of a road-loss in Austin last week and are going to have to shake off the road wariness if they are going to move up in the seeding. The Shoe, on the road. 'Nuff said.

After being on cruise control it seemed for the first 11 games of the season. The Buckeyes find themselves in a war for the 2-seed in the Elite conference. After the 10-1 start, Ohio St. lost back-2-back games before turning it around last week vs Miami, in South Florida. Sitting as the current 3-seed, they get a very "game" squad visiting, in the Tigers.

Other games that are going to help grind the Seeding Gears this week:

South Carolina @ Auburn - The Gamecocks have to put everything into this game. Auburn is a much better team than the 3 wins this season would seem to indicate. South Carolina is coming off of a HUGE win [26-6] last week in Columbia, snapping Washington's 9 game win-streak.

Rutgers @ Florida St. - Both teams are fighting for their post-season lives. The Seminoles have a much more difficult challenge in this matchup than the team they're battling with (Miami) as the Hurricanes are at Michigan (1-13). Rutgers needs this win and a slip by Navy (@ BYU) to keep the ventilator plugged in.

*Note - We are all familiar with the MFN system sometime pre-maturely marking teams with an (e). I think this is the case with two AI teams. Oklahoma St. & Texas. If Miami and FSU were to lose out, and the Cowboys & Longhorns win-out, they will have better records. Not likely, but I've seen stranger things!!

Last edited at 8/25/2021 9:24 pm

By Bryno
8/29/2021 5:58 pm
WEEK 16

OMG Games - A&M @ UCLA, Utah @ Navy and SC @ Kansas

UCLA has been in a no-flinch mode since losing in OT to Ohio St. A win just a couple of weeks back, at home, against LSU and now? A visit from LSU's arch-nemesis. CR's focus is on still being able to snag that home-field, and first round bye. It can still happen with a win, coupled with Ohio St (@NW) loss and a Utah loss (I think) and a Washington (@ Navy) loss.

A&M has the overall #1 seed in their sights, here. They'll need some help on top of getting this win. They need SC to knock off Kansas, in Lawrence.

-Both teams are in good shape injury-wise for tonight.

Utah, 2 weeks ago needed OT to dispatch the Wildcats of AZ and now they get them again, in Tucson. Not the ideal situation with their having the shot at #2 seed as well. They did beat the Buckeyes earlier in the season, so they would get the nod with a win and a UCLA loss.

Navy is playing spoiler tonight, with not much change for them seeding wise....wait, maybe homefield? 4 seed? If UCLA and Utah both lose and the Midshipmen beat the Huskies.

I'm very distracted right now because I'm watching the playoff between Doucheambeau and Patrick Cantlay. So don't hold me to much here, ok?

What I haven't mention is that Notre Dame (now coachless) with a loss (@ Army) and a Washington win? Doesn't matter. ND has clinched #1.

Kansas/SC? See above the UCLA/A&M game for what's at stake. All I know is these 4 or 5 games have a lot of variables riding on them. It will be an interesting unveiling on Monday morning.

By jabillups85 - League Admin
8/30/2021 5:37 pm
The Buckeyes snuck in to get that 1st round bye!